What It's All About:
Thanks for your interest in joining a Daniel Glass Online Jazz Intensive!
Please note that this event has an in-person component for drummers in Denver, which includes the opportunity to record with a local jazz rhythm section in a professional studio setting. If we do not register 12 drummers from Denver, we will supplement the remaining slots with online-only students. If you're attending online, you will be able to participate in all aspects of the course EXCEPT for the studio critique sessions. However, you will be able to observe these sessions remotely.
Since we have interest from all over the world (many different time zones), we can't yet confirm specific start/finish times for all the events. Depending on where you live, some events might happen earlier in the morning or later in the evening. We'll be back in touch shortly with more info. on this account. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email Daniel directly: [email protected].
The Jazz Intensive will be presented in five sessions spread out between August 14-23, 2020 (for details, check out the full itinerary below). Spreading the events out over a multi-day period will allow you time to practice, digest the material, and make measurable progress.
To ensure that every student receives maximum one-on-one interaction, we will be limiting attendance to a total of 12 participants.
Saturdays will be technique days, Sundays will be studio days. There will also be a mid-week check-in (2 hrs) and special events on the Friday night of each weekend.
The cost for online participants is $299 ($150 less than the Denver price).
Check out these videos from Daniel's New York Jazz Intensive, and see the FULL ITINERARY of events below:
Here’s What You’ll Get
* 8+ hours of in-depth instruction on Jazz Technique with Daniel (Conducted online over a period of two weekends. See detailed itinerary below).
Course Topics include:
• Pulse/Jazz Ride Pattern
• Comping Behind A Soloist
• Jazz Phrasing
• Four-Way Coordination
• Traditional Grip
* Personalized Feedback: Receive direct, one-on-one feedback from Daniel throughout all the technique courses. Class size will be limited to 12 to ensure maximum interaction.
* Observe the Professional Critique Sessions: Watch Daniel and the professional rhythm section work with the Denver students in the studio. The critique sessions are one of the most popular parts of the Jazz Intensive, as they cover many key elements of musicianship, ensemble interaction and technical application.
* Downloads: A PDF that includes all topics and exercise transcriptions from the Technique Classes.
* Evolution of Jazz Drumming Video Series: Created by Daniel, this 4-part, multi-media lecture series offers a powerful and engaging “big picture” look at how jazz drumming has evolved over the last 120 years. Styles include: Traditional Jazz, Swing, Rhythm and Blues (Shuffles), Bebop and Hard Bop.
* “Ask Daniel” Q&A: Your opportunity to ask a 30-year music industry veteran all your burning questions related to a getting gigs, practice, motivation, inspiration, etc.
* Welcome Party: A chance to meet Daniel and the other participants the day before the event begins.
* Viewing Party: Watch the live concert stream of the Daniel Glass Trio on Friday, August 21st.
*Questions? Contact us via email.
DANIEL GLASS ONLINE JAZZ INTENSIVE:
Friday, August 14: Opening Night Get Together. Get to know the other participants, chat with Daniel (from NYC), share a cocktail and get pumped for the event.
Technique Class I: What is Swing? (1 hr.)
Saturday, August 15: Technique Development (via Zoom or other online platform)
- Creating the "Perfect Pulse" (the “Throw-Up” Exercise)
- Incorporating French Grip fundamentals
- "Deliberate Practice”: Getting the most out of practice time
Technique Class II: Jazz Phrasing (1 hr.)
- “Singing and Snapping”
- Round Robin Solos
Mid-Day Break (0.5 hr.)
Technique Class III: Balancing The Limbs (1 hr.)
- Adding the Hi Hat
- Adding the Bass Drum
Technique Class IV: The Jazz Ride Pattern (1 hr.)
- Establishing a three-stroke pattern out of the pulse
- Ride cymbal variations
Sunday, August 16: Studio and Critique Session I (6 hours)
- Observe live streamed sessions as Daniel and the professional rhythm section work with the Denver students in the studio.
- This is always one of the most popular parts of the Jazz Intensive. It's the chance to get invaluable feedback from pros - an incredibly valuable learning tool.
- Focus of the session will be on Weekend 1 topics.
Mid-Week Check In:
Wednesday, August 19: Mid-Week Check In (via Zoom or other online platform)
- Technique Review: (1 hr.)
- Throw-Up Exercise
- Jazz Ride Pattern
- “Singing and Snapping”
- Round Robin Solos
- Q&A Session: “Ask Daniel” (1 hr.)
- Pick Daniel's brain about career advice, performing motivation, practicing, or anything else you like.
Friday, August 21: Evening Concert with The Daniel Glass Trio (Starts at 5:00 pm Mountain Time)
- This concert will be streamed live from a studio in New York (75-90 minute set with Q&A afterward).
Saturday, August 22: Technique Development Day (via Zoom or other online platform)
Technique Class V: Comping and Melody (1 hr.)
- Comping: Adding the Left Hand
- Melodic Connection
Technique Class VI: Hand Development (1 hr.)
- Playing Melodies (Triplets/Ghost Notes)
- Introduction to Soloing (Trading 4’s, Playing the entire form, Open solo)
Mid-Day Break (0.5 hr.)
Technique Class VII: Brushes (1 hr.)
- Brush Fundamentals - Applying the Pulse
- Understanding and Adding the Swish
Technique Class VIII: Comping (1 hr.)
- Comping - Four Way Coordination
- Incorporating Traditional Grip
Sunday, August 21st: Studio Session II: Final Performance and Recording
- These sessions will be streamed live, so you can watch and support the progress of the Denver attendees.
About Daniel Glass:
Daniel Glass is an award-winning drummer, author, historian and educator based in New York City. He is widely recognized as an authority on classic American drumming and the evolution of American Popular Music.
As an educator, Daniel has published five books and three DVDs, including the award-winning titles The Century Project, The Roots of Rock Drumming, and The Commandments of Early Rhythm and Blues Drumming. He is a regular contributor to publications like Modern Drummer, DRUM and Classic Drummer. He has performed hundreds of clinics and master classes globally, appearing at many of the world’s top educational conferences and drum festivals.
Since 2016, Daniel has hosted an annual 4-day Jazz Intensive in New York City, which draws an international student base. In 2021, he will launch the first Daniel Glass European Jazz Intensive in Frankfurt, Germany.
A pioneer in online education, Daniel works one-on-one with an average of 50 private students each month (who hail from five continents). In 2013, Daniel co-curated an exhibit on the history of the drum set at the Rhythm Discovery Center in Indianapolis, IN, for which he was awarded the Percussive Arts Society’s “Distinguished Service Award.”
Learn more at: www.DanielGlass.com